YWCA will be opening a new pet shelter on the Weaver Domestic Violence Center campus in 2021. We’re grateful to our generous community, including Amazon, Gail Alexander, RedRover, and all who are making this shelter a reality. Click here to read the news release about our new Pet Shelter.
Regardless of their own crisis, some individuals and families refuse safe shelter if they cannot bring a beloved pet. YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee is committed to every possible action to bring more people out of abusive situations and into a place where they can begin healing and planning a bright future. Our new Pet Shelter will remove a barrier to safety and allow pets and people to escape abuse together.
- Domestic violence impacts the entire family.
- Pets are not immune to domestic violence, as abusers frequently threaten, injure, maim or kill their partners’ pets as a form of control.
- Seventy-one percent of pet owners entering domestic violence shelters reportered their abusers had threatened, injured, or killed their family pets.
- Studies show that nearly half of women in domestic violence situations delayed leaving for fear their pets would be harmed.
- Women in domestic violence shelters are 11 times more likely to report animal abuse by their partner than women not experiencing violence.
- 85 percent of domestic violence shelters report that they commonly encounter women who speak about pet abuse incidents.
- 52 percent of victims in shelters left their pets with their abusers.
- 55 percent of victims and their children report that their pets are very important sources of emotional support.
- Women without children are more likely to postpone seeking shelter out of concern for their pets’ safety as compared to women with children.
To learn more or discuss opportunities, please contact YWCA’s Associate VP of Operations Sharon McCurry via email or call 615-983-5148.
To discuss financial contributions to help us operate the Pet Shelter, please contact our Chief Development Officer Beth Boord via email or call 615-983-5149.
Domestic violence survivors and their pets need a safe place to heal. Help us to help them.
Consider a Legacy Gift for Lasting Impact
We invite you to become a member of the Gertrude Caldwell Legacy Society by including YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee in your will and estate plans. You can be assured that your gift will have real and lasting impact.
Employer Matching Gifts
If your employer offers matching gifts, please email us and we’ll initiate the process!