Inspiring girls to be strong, smart, and bold
For more information, email Girls Inc. Specialist Shay Turner.
EVERY DAY, GIRLS INC. AT YWCA NASHVILLE & MIDDLE TENNESSEE PUTS OUR MISSION INTO PRACTICE THROUGH THE GIRLS INC. EXPERIENCE USING SIX ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS. TOGETHER, THEY PROVIDE A HOLISTIC APPROACH THAT IS GROUNDED IN A BELIEF IN GIRLS’ RIGHTS AND ABILITIES.
- Girls-Only Environment: A pro-girl and girls-only environment that is physically, socially, and emotionally safe and confirms that girls can succeed and deserve to be taken seriously for the women they will become;
- Mentoring Relationships: Trusting, mentoring relationships with adult staff and volunteers trained in an approach that is grounded in a belief in girls’ rights and abilities;
- Intentional Programming: Holistic, compensatory, and intentional programming focused on girls’ needs and that provides exposure to a wide variety of experiences and options that girls might not have experienced otherwise;
- Research-Based Curricula: Relevant, field-tested, and research-based curricula that confront the serious needs of girls while building the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to enable girls to be competent, confident individuals and adult women;
- Interactive Activities: Girl-centered, motivating, deliberate, and interactive activities that develop and promote girls’ strengths, and;
- Sustained Exposure: Sustained exposure to programming and connection with a girl over time to increase positive outcomes and reduce the potential for negative outcomes.
THE GIRLS INC. EXPERIENCE IS UNIQUE AMONG ORGANIZATIONS SERVING GIRLS.
The thoughtful combination of PEOPLE, ENVIRONMENT, and PROGRAMMING provide and immersive and highly supportive experience for the girls, and the focus on the WHOLE GIRL provides a structure of growth and development to help girls achieve and thrive.
If you would like to donate to our Girls Inc. at YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee program, please click on our secure donation form below:
Chaput Avery Scholars
The Chaput-Avery Family Foundation, founded in 2018 by Bob and Mary Chaput, is dedicated to strengthening leadership skills in girls and young women. This new program is designed to increase the ability for girls to attend and graduate from college. Click here to learn more.
#GirlsToo is a national campaign to shift the deeply entrenched norms that lead to sexual harassment and violence in our society, and to create a culture where all girls and young people grow up safe, respected, and valued. Click here to learn more about this campaign and take the pledge!
About Girls Inc. at YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee
Using hands-on, research-based programming, Girls Inc. empowers girls to succeed. Trained staff and volunteers build lasting, mentoring relationships in girls-only spaces that are physically and emotionally safe – where girls find a sisterhood of support with shared drive and mutual respect.
The skills and knowledge students learn in Girls Inc. equips them to to set goals, overcome obstacles, and improve academic performance. Girls learn about a variety of topics that directly impact their lives and futures, including:
- how to lead healthy and physically active lives
- money management and financial literacy
- navigate media messages and the portrayal of women’s bodies
- discover an interest in science, technology, engineering, and math
- prepare for college and professional scenarios
YWCA Nashville & Middle Tennessee proudly offers Girls Inc. at 21 Metro Nashville Public Schools. To date, more than 3,000 girls have been impacted with life-changing experiences and personal mentorship since we became the Girls Inc. affiliate in Middle Tennessee in 2008.
We do not discriminate or exclude girls from our programming based on their gender identity or gender expression.
Jaida Kline, Hunters Lane graduate
In the Press
- Girls Inc. Partners with Dell – NewsChannel5 [VIDEO]
How You Can Help
Every dollar helps.
We serve hundreds of girls each year between school programming and our spring break and summer break camps. All money raised for Girls Inc. goes directly to making more girls strong, smart, and bold. Donate now.
Visit our Amazon Wish List.
Interested in volunteering?
We rely on volunteers to help us with our Girls Inc. spring break and summer camps, and will soon launch a volunteer mentoring program. Contact Allison Adams via email or phone at 615-983-5144 to learn about current opportunities.
Want additional information on Girls Inc?
Contact Vanessa Helbig Johnson via email or phone at 615-983-5126.
Girls Inc. Schools
Antioch High School
Antioch Middle School
Apollo Middle School
Buena Vista Elementary
Glencliff High School
Hillsboro High School
Jere Baxter Middle School
Madison Middle School
Maplewood High School
Margaret Allen Middle School
Moses McKissack Middle School
Pearl-Cohn High School
Paragon Mills Elementary
Whites Creek High School
Wright Middle School